Agricultural Research, Innovation and Development
To provide research-based technologies, knowledge and information to facilitate a sustainable and viable agricultural sector
To be among the leading agricultural research and services institutions of the world by 2020
- Scientific integrity and excellence
- Co-operation and collaboration with relevant institutions
- Stakeholder focus and sensitivity
- Honest and ethical behaviour
- Maintenance of diverse and healthy ecosystems
- Diverse perspectives and knowledge – traditional, experiential and scientific
- A desire to learn among staff and stakeholders
Functions of the Department
- Developing new crop varieties that are adaptable to Zimbabwe’s five agro-ecological zones
- Providing breeders’ seed to seed houses to support Foundation seed production and subsequently, Certified seed for the market
- Carrying out research for developing appropriate field and horticultural crop production technologies for use by farmers
- Packaging and disseminating research-based crop management technologies.
- Knowledge and information aimed at increasing agricultural productivity in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- Collecting, characterizing and conserving plant and crop genetic resources for input into future crop variety development and for propagation and distribution to growers as disease-free clean material.
- Developing and share technologies on crop produce handling, processing and value addition technologies
- Providing advisory services on crop management