To encourage and promote the involvement and participation of youths in Agriculture through
facilitating, funding, training,Discussions,Competitions,information sharing and platform to
exhibit their agricultural activities
AIMS AND OBECTIVES
· Correcting the poor branding of agriculture and correcting a perception of agriculture asan unattractive career option for the youth
· Facilitating the revitalising of agriculture at the primary, secondary and higher education levels and with special focus on agricultural colleges and agricultural training centres.
· Mentorship: To introduce mentorship programmes to guide the youth on
ways of making a living from agriculture with a special focus on college graduates from agricultural institutions and school-leavers.
· To support country level efforts at developing an enabling
environment for youth participation at all levels of the agriculturevalue chain
· To address compelling evidence of ageing farmer population in the country which must be addressed to facilitate sustainability in agriculture production? The average age of farmer in Zimbabwe is 55 years and life expectancy averages between 55 – 60 years.
· To help reduce Zimbabwe food import bill for maize, cooking oil, frozen chicken and meat and also help in reducing the continuous rising of food items. The Youth will help through relevant department in increasing the supply of food produce.
· To address the poor image of persons involved in agriculture, especially in the rural communities needs to be changed and the youth are the ideal catalyst such change given their greater prosperity and wiliness to adapt new ideas, concept and technology which are all important to changing the way agriculture is practiced and perceived.
· Increased employment particularly rural employment is required as youth unemployment is on the increase.
· The Youth desk will provide productive alternatives for the engagement of the youth to reduce crime like stock theft and other social problems.
· Helping Youth through relevant departments to have diversified, modern farming practices.
· Mobilising youth through relevant departments towards adapting the new crop varieties and animal strains/breeds.
· To reduce rural to urban migration through encouraging young people to make use indigenous agro resources and also facilitate the value addition and beneficiation.
· To help the state in promoting agricultural indigenous knowledge system through engaging the youth and the elders on agricultural and climate change matter.