Agricultural Research, Innovation and Development Fifth Street Extension P. O. Box CY594, Causeway, Harare Tel: +263 242 704531/9
To provide research-based technologies, knowledge and information to facilitate a sustainable and viable agricultural sector
To be among the leading agricultural research and services institutions of the world by 2020
- Scientific integrity and excellence
- Co-operation and collaboration with relevant institutions
- Stakeholder focus and sensitivity
- Honest and ethical behaviour
- Maintenance of diverse and healthy ecosystems
- Diverse perspectives and knowledge – traditional, experiential and scientific
- A desire to learn among staff and stakeholders
Functions of the Department
- Developing new crop varieties that are adaptable to Zimbabwe’s five agro-ecological zones
- Providing breeders’ seed to seed houses to support Foundation seed production and subsequently, Certified seed for the market
- Carrying out research for developing appropriate field and horticultural crop production technologies for use by farmers
- Packaging and disseminating research-based crop management technologies.
- Knowledge and information aimed at increasing agricultural productivity in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- Collecting, characterizing and conserving plant and crop genetic resources for input into future crop variety development and for propagation and distribution to growers as disease-free clean material.
- Developing and share technologies on crop produce handling, processing and value addition technologies
- Providing advisory services on crop management
Division of Livestock and Pastures
The division generates appropriate and sustainable management technologies to support livestock productivity and production. The portfolio also includes research on pastures, forages (both planted and those naturally found in the rangelands) and cost effective feed formulations in support of the agricultural industry.