Agricultural Engineering, Mechanization and Soil conservation
1 Scam Way, Hatcliffe
P.O. Box W330
The Division of Mechanization endeavours to meet the agricultural engineering and mechanization needs of its different farmer clientele timeously and at the highest possible level of professional quality, effectiveness, efficiency, and accountability.
To be a leader in the provision of appropriate agricultural engineering and mechanization services to farmers locally and regionally.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Teamwork and commitment
Functins of the Department
- Planning and developing farm mechanization systems for different farmer needs
- Pre-shipment and pre-delivery inspections of farm machinery and equipment
- Timely distribution of agricultural equipment and machinery under the Agricultural Mechanisation Programmes to ensure availability of farm mechanization inputs
- Monitoring and evaluation of acquired machinery and equipment
- Processing of water permits, mine dump inspections, pegging of small dams and pipelines, gully reclamation
- Design of farm structures and postharvest grain storage structures
- Coordinate farm mechanization service provision (tillage, harvesting)
1. Training and Extension in Agricultural Mechanisation
- Conducting farmer training courses in farm mechanization technologies
- Conducting farm mechanization courses and demonstrations
- Development of extension training materials, advisory notes and fact sheets for the farming community
2. Farm machinery and equipment identification and monitoring
- Identify all agricultural machinery and equipment available on farms.
- Determine the status and repair requirements of the identified agricultural machinery and equipment.
- Liaising with tillage service providers to ensure adequate and timely provision of tillage services
- Establishing viable and optimum farm machinery and equipment hire rates
3. Research and Development in Agricultural Mechanisation
- Review and develop standards for agricultural machinery and equipment
- Testing and evaluation of farm machinery and equipment
- Research on conservation agriculture, farm power and machinery, postharvest technology and farm structures
- Designing and development of farm structures